The Adoption Process
What to Expect
Step 1: Complete and submit the Adoption Application. Filling out the Adoption Application is not a commitment to adopt; it is simply the first step in the process.
You can e-mail a completed Adoption Application email@example.com or you can bring it with you to an adoption location. The weekend adoption schedule is subject to change due to the availability of volunteers. We encourage you to call the shelter at 512-267-6876 to confirm places and times of off-site adoptions.
We currently do not have an online Adoption Application, but you can e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or if you want to request a copy of the form in Microsoft Word.
Important Note for Dog/Puppy Adoptions:
- We do NOT allow invisible/electric fences.
- We prefer a fenced yard.
- In state adoptions only.
- The dog/puppy is NOT allowed to be tied or chained out for any reason.
- The dog/puppy is NOT allowed to run loose for any reason.
Adoption fees are based on the animal. Please call for current adoption fees and discounts.
- Dogs (over 30 lbs.) and cats that are spayed/neutered
- Small dogs (under 30 lbs.) that are spayed/neutered
- Kittens and medium- and large-breed puppes that are NOT yet spayed/neutered -- (In addition to the adoption fee, a deposit of $50-100 will be required. This deposit is refundable upon showing proof that the animal has been spayed/neutered.)
- Small-breed puppies that are NOT yet spayed/neutered -- (In addition to the adoption fee, a deposit of $50-100 will be required. This deposit is refundable upon showing proof that the animal has been spayed/neutered.)
Step 2: Be interviewed by an Adoption Counselor. Our adoption counselors are well trained and are required to ask for detailed information about the potential living arrangements for our animals. Adoptions considered for State of Texas residents only.
Step 3: Meet the animals to find a good match for you and your lifestyle.
Step 4: The Application Review Committee will process your application. Lifelong Friends is not able to accept every application for adoption and reserves the right to reject an application. Applications are PROCESSED on a first come first serve basis but are APPROVED based on which application is the best match for the animal. We have set guidelines for application acceptance and realize that your opinion may differ from ours. Thank you for your understanding.
Step 5: If your Adoption Application is approved, you will fill out an Adoption Contract and other important documents, such as the in-house Microchip Registration Form. The Contract is a legally-binding document that spells out your responsibilities as the owner of the pet you are adopting. In addition, the Contract provides you with a record of the medical care that the shelter provided for the animal.